Ask yourself the following two questions:
- Do you have a physical or mental condition, or a combination of conditions, that prevents you from working?
- Has the condition(s) lasted, or is it expected to last, for a continuous period of not less than 12 months?
If you answered yes both of these questions, you should apply. You can apply for Social Security Disability benefits in one of the following three ways:
- by phone at 1 (800) 772-1213.
- in person at your local Social Security Office, or
- by completing your application online at https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/apply.html.
If you need assistance completing your application, you may consider contacting an experienced attorney to assist you. After you complete your application and the Social Security Administration reviews your evidence, they will make a decision and notify you.